I've slowly gotten used to my new life up here in the North East (I moved to Newcastle upon Tyne at the end of March and started my new job 10th April), and I'm now picking up writing again (hopefully). This also made me realize I hadn't written a 'Third Book In Stats' post yet! So here we go.
The Idea for my third novel, RESIST, a YA futuristic sci-fi, came to me early 2016. I wrote a few chapters, but I didn't have a full story, and when the idea for UNDER THE DARK CLOUDS fully formed in my head, I gave that one priority. Good thing I did, because, in case you missed it, I signed with my fabulous agent December 2016!
Kelly (agent) and I talk regularly (sometimes I wonder if I'll ever drive her insane, but she says she loves hearing me talk about my ideas, so fine ;) ) and it was at the start of February that Kelly told me, "Remember that sci-fi you told me about? Do you still have your ideas for that? I think now's the time to write it."
And she was right. With everything that's been going on in this messed up world, my inspiration spiked when I went over my old notes, and, with some hugely helpful comments from the lovely Demet, I wrote a brief outline.
I wrote this novel in 27 days.
No, that's not a typo. I was being made redundant at work at the time (February/March this year), and with handovers, workload gradually declined, leaving most of us to stare blankly at a PC, check Facebook too many times a day, or have a long chat in the kitchen. While I participated in these, too, I also decided I could use my time differently as long as no one needed my help, and all work was under control. So I did. I started writing on 15th February, and finished 27th March, if I'm not mistaken--a day before my last day at work. I had all weekends off, and there were a few days where I couldn't write. I kept track, and it comes down to 27 days of writing, with a daily goal of 2k. It clocked in at 65K.
Things have changed slightly, now that I have an agent. I did one round of revisions for RESIST, kicking out a character + storyline, fixing things and adding some scenes (also based on feedback of CPs), which upped the total word count to 69K. And then... I knew there was more to be done, but I didn't know what, and I had trouble another CP/beta reader for this. I voiced this to Kelly, who, because she's awesome and imcomparable, simply said, "Send it to me", and I'm waiting to hear back what she thinks.
Idea: January 2016
Started writing: 15th February 2017
Finished first draft: 27th March 2017
Initial word count: 65K
Started revising: Early April 2017
Words cut during revising: 4K
Final (ahem, for now) word count: 69K